When the Communications Authority of Kenya (CA) directed telecommunication companies to re-register SIM cards of their subscribers, Airtel went the digital way without hesitating.
Airtel allowed its subscribers to self-register online almost immediately after the CA’s directive, doing away with long queues at their shops.
Kenyans were then able to avoid penalties that CA had threatened against non-registered users by April 15 before it extended the deadline to October 15, 2022.
According to CA, non-compliant SIM users risk spending six months in jail, a Ksh300,000 fine, or both.
Nonetheless, here are the simple steps to fully register your SIM card online;
1. Open https://airtelkenya.com/lp/kyc/
2. Enter Airtel phone number.
3. Click validate and get a one-time password (OTP).
4. You will receive an SMS with a verification code.
5. Enter your ID number.
6. Scan and Upload your ID (back and front).