Shares, units of equity ownership in a corporation. Safaricom shares can be bought either online or one would also place a manual order with the stock broker of their choice.
The shares can be bought through two ways;
- Through your stockbroker.
How to purchase Safaricom shares via Stockbroker
However, one must have a CDS account to be able to buy Safaricom shares in Kenya. A CDS account is a virtual account-almost like your MPpesa account -where your shares are stored. Steps to opening a CDS account involve,
- Visit any central Bank of Kenya branch or your preferred stockbroker.
- Present the following documents as requirements to open CDS account in Kenya or to your broker: 2 recent passports size photographs.
- Original national ID.
- Bank statement or Utility Bill.
- You will fill in a given form (CDS1) and get your CDS account number.
How to purchase Safaricom shares online:
- Log in to your online shares trading up
- Fund the account by adding cash via MPESA
- Click buy shares
- Scroll to select Safaricom shares.
- Enter the quantity needed and set the price limit, if necessary.
- Confirm the order.
How to become a member after buying shares in Safaricom:
- Purchase a minimum of 500 shares at 52.5ksh.
- Pay a non-refundable admission fee of 10,000ksh
- Total to pay is 36,500ksh.
- Fill in a registration form and attach a passport photo, copy of ID, copy of your KRA pin and proof of payment.
- Minimum monthly contribution is 3000kshs.